Friday, July 18, 2014

Sales and Catering

I've noticed that in writing the first several blogs I can't help but see how many times the word "I" comes up. In saying that, this piece will be written on how the Sales and Catering team is anything but just "I".
My objective for the length of time given to me to spend with this department was to observe an effective team. However, the first assessment was to see if the team was in fact effective. After 3 days of watching them interact there were several observations that could be traits of an effective team. Of course I was fortunate enough to spend 9 days with my "colleagues" of sales and catering and observe a truly effective team. Of those traits the best by far was the teams ability to resolve conflicts. Now the conflicts that came up ranged from internal to customer to secret. I was given the opportunity to listen in on calls to customers where we resolved conflicts, and to sit in on meetings, or even outside of meetings, and listen to these problems and potential issues get worked through to a solution.

I enjoyed mostly the view of Little Rock from the 15th floor. However, the close second was to be able to be around knowledgeable and witty people who have without a doubt, been-there-done-that. I was able to have many notable conversations with Shelby Tate, and Chuck Magill. And the thing that came to have more meaning whenever I was no longer working with this department was "What happens in sales, stays in sales"-Shelby Tate. I gained knowledge that the rest of the hotel wasn't privy too, through meetings that I was only allowed to sit in as a learning experience.  I was reminded that my being there was a blessing daily as I experienced working towards the same goals as this team did for nearly 2 weeks. And this being said I was fortunate to be apart of this team.



No comments:

Post a Comment