Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 2 Recreation, and Laundry

Walk-through

I arrived on the premises knowing that my next two days would be spent in laundry. To anyone who has       doubts on the importance of laundry workers, rethink it; laundry at the Capital Hotel is literally the       backbone of the operation. Without those men and women, whom everyone knows and adores, there would be no sheets or towels for the rooms, no linen for the tables, nor napkins for silverware, and not a single rag to wipe a kitchen down with. So be nice to laundry folks, they have a job that nobody wants, but everyone needs!
       
          With any laundry system there are also the horrors that come down that chute, the stuff of nightmares. I stripped a room only a week earlier that looked like a lady had birthed twins in the bathroom. What's worse is she tried to clean it up with the towels, it was a horrible stinking bloody mess. Where did those sheets go, well you already know they went down that chute just like all the other linen. Fortunately I didn't come across any such atrocities during my two day excursion in the heart of the Capital.

         Tuesday morning I arrived at laundry to be met with Chris. Chris showed me around the laundry room and how every would work. I already had laundry experience before the internship, therefore I jumped in automatically and started folding. I noticed by the end of the day that the men and women have different roles of work within the laundry. The men separate laundry, when it comes down the chute, into towels, and sheets and then basically anything else gets a special holding container. Next they load the washers, then the dryers. After that they go and pick up rags from the kitchens and replenish that kitchens stock of clean rags.The women work the 12 foot wide iron. This machine is always on and almost always in use. every piece of linen gets run through the iron then folded neatly by the ladies. They will feed each item in the front and it will make it's way through a series of hot rollers until it reaches the back where it will feed half of it down until sensors detect the middle then jets of air will push it back towards the front will it will be half folded already. The women will also be in charge of uniform pressing, and dry cleaning in general.

          Laundry is always an experience you'll likely never forget. However that's not all I was doing for the first half of my week.
 I got some beautiful shot of a rain system moving in on my location






 These pictures are actually from the weekend. I keep solo climbing, but it's worth it!
 I went trail-running, therefore the helmet; plus it has speakers in it for music.
 This is my new buddy Jeff





 The above picture are from my day off Thursday

This is the only picture I took during my climb on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment